This recipe for roasted (or barbecued) asparagus originated with my brother-in-law Allan who uses the barbecue to cook asparagus – with delicious results. Oven or BBQ works great!
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
16 asparagus spears
4 – 6 cloves garlic, crushed
kosher salt and pepper, to taste
2 tbsp (30 ml) shredded asiago cheese or parmesan (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare asparagus for cooking.
- In plastic bag or dish, mix asparagus with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Once asparagus is thoroughly covered in oil place on a baking sheet and move around a bit so that oil greases the pan.
- Put asparagus in oven and turn periodically while roasting to ensure it doesn’t burn.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until desired tenderness reached.
- Don’t overcook. Asparagus should be tender but crisp.
- Finish off with shredded asiago cheese or parmesan (optional).
- Serve immediately.
Serves 2 – 4