4 sweet potatoes, skin on
1/2 cup (125 ml) onion, diced
2 tbsp (30 ml) grapeseed or olive oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 cup (125 ml) red pepper, diced
1/2 cup (125 ml) green pepper, diced
1/2 cup (125 ml) zucchini, diced
1/2 cup (125 ml) tomatoes, diced
1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) chili powder
1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) cumin
1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce or Bragg
black pepper to taste
2 cups (500 ml) canned black beans, rinsed, and drained
1 cup (250 ml) tomato sauce
hot pepper sauce, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, pierce sweet potatoes then place on a cookie sheet and bake until soft, about 60 to 75 minutes. Sweet potatoes ‘weep’ so be sure they have something under them.
- While potatoes cook, sauté onion, garlic, peppers and zucchini over medium heat for a few minutes before adding tomatoes and seasonings.
- Cook a few more minutes then add black beans and tomato sauce.
- Season to taste with hot pepper sauce and simmer on low until potatoes are done – or at least 10 minutes if potatoes are already done.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven, when done. Cool for 5 minutes.
- To serve, cut potatoes in half and spoon chili over them.