These scones are easy to prepare and delicious! You can make them with blueberries, strawberries, rhubarb, chocolate, whatever you like. For the rhubarb you may want to add a bit of extra sugar (I did with this recipe) to compensate for the tartness.
3 1/2 cups (875 ml) unbleached flour
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) rolled oats
4 tsp (20 ml) baking powder
1 1/2 tsp (7.5 ml) baking soda
3/4 tsp (3.75 ml) salt
1/2 to 3/4 cup (125 to 185 ml) lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 to 3/4 tsp (2.5 to 3.75 ml) cinnamon
1 cup (250 ml) butter, room temperature (easier to cut in)
2 cups (500 ml) buttermilk
1 cup (250 ml) blueberries
PLUS another cup (250 ml) of any of the following:
rhubarb, diced and mixed with 4 tsp (20 ml) sugar
strawberries, raspberries or another berry
grated white chocolate
1 cup (250 ml) brown sugar, for dipping tops of scones before baking (optional)
- Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add butter and cut into mixture with pastry cutter or two knifes until flour and butter have a crumbly appearance.
- Refrigerate flour- butter mixture for at least 10 to 15 minutes, so that butter becomes cold.
- Just before removing flour-butter mixture from fridge combine blueberries with rhubarb-sugar mixture.
- Mix fruit into flour mixture.
- Add buttermilk and mix in. Be careful not to over mix.
- dry, add more buttermilk.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly sprinkle flour onto a counter area where you can roll or pat out dough.
- Combine scone mixture into a rough ball and transfer to the floured surface.
- Knead dough gently about 6 or so times before rolling or patting dough to about 3/4 inch thickness.
- Dust the edge of a round glass with flour for cutting the scones. Glass should be roughly 3 inches wide.
- Place the top of the scone into a bowl of brown sugar to gently cover the top of it (optional).
- Place scones onto a parchment covered (or bare) cookie sheet and bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from oven and leave plain or, if you haven’t dipped them in brown sugar before baking, you may want to lightly sprinkle them with icing sugar while hot.
- Serve and enjoy warm or cold.
Makes 24 to 30, depending on size