This is super simple, delicious and relatively healthy (coconut oil, flax, oat bran, nuts). A great recipe for times when you crave something sweet and don’t have a lot of time to bake.
Ingredients for Brownies with Walnuts
3/4 cup (185 ml) coconut oil or butter
2 squares semi-sweet chocolate
1 square unsweetened chocolate
2/3 cup (160 ml) unbleached flour
(or half unbleached and half whole wheat or spelt)
2 tbsp (30 ml) oat bran
1 tbsp (15 ml) ground flax
1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar (more if you like it sweeter)
1/8 tsp (.625 ml) salt
3/4 cup (185 ml) walnuts – chopped or whole
Preparation steps for Brownies with Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Carefully melt chocolate squares in microwave (30 second bursts and stir until melted).
- Add butter to chocolate and stir to melt through.
- Beat eggs together. Set aside.
- In a bowl mix flour, oat bran, ground flax, sugar and salt.
- Beat eggs into chocolate butter mixture.
- Combine chocolate mixture in with the flour mixture, then add nuts and mix thoroughly.
- Scrape into an 8” square cake pan (lightly greased or use parchment paper).
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Brownies are done when a toothpick stuck in their centre comes out clean.
These are delicious as is but if you need extra sweetness, sprinkle icing sugar over top or ice with your favourite butter icing.