This recipe for Caramel Popcorn comes from my brother-in-law, Ken Smith. Ken has been making this Caramel Popcorn at Christmas for over 20 years. It’s a huge hit and something my husband and I look forward to receiving every Christmas!
Ingredients for Caramel Popcorn
1 cup +/- uncooked popcorn
2 cups (500 ml) brown sugar
1 cup (250 ml) butter
1/2 cup (125 ml) corn syrup
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
Preparing Caramel Popcorn
- Pop the popcorn and set aside.
- In a big pot (bigger than you think you’ll need) combine brown sugar, butter, corn syrup.
- Bring mixture to a light boil and allow to boil for 5 minutes.
- Once boiled, remove from heat and stir in salt and baking soda. (Now you’ll understand why you need a big pot! The baking soda significantly increases the volume of the mixture!!)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- In a large roaster, combine the cooked popcorn and the liquid caramel mixture, and spread out over the roaster evenly.
- Bake caramel covered popcorn for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and pour mixture onto parchment paper on your counter or on parchment paper covered cookie sheets.
- Cool caramel covered popcorn and, once cool, break into pieces.