An easy to make, and very tasty Chocolate Biscotti. Not too sweet but sweet enough. The red of the craisins adds a little Christmas colour to these. A small plate of these make a nice gift for a friend, wrapped in cellophane and tied with a bit of ribbon.
Ingredients for Chocolate Biscotti
1/2 cup (125 ml) soft butter
2/3 cup (165 ml) sugar
1 3/4 (435 ml) cups flour
1/4 cup (60 ml) unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp (15 ml) instant coffee
2 tsp (10 ml baking soda
pinch of salt
1 cup (250 ml) blanched almonds slices
1/2 cup (125 ml) craisins
Preparing Chocolate Biscotti
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time.
- In another bowl use a whisk to mix together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and instant coffee.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat until well mixed.
- Add in the almonds and craisins.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cover two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Split dough into two parts and make each into a log – it will look a bit like a loaf of french bread – laid out on the parchment paper. Leave a few inches between the logs.
- Bake cookies from 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on cookie sheet for roughly 5 minutes and then on a wire rack for about 15 minutes.
- Once cooled, use a serrated knife to cut the loaves into 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) thick slices – similar to a slice of bread.
- Transfer the slices to cookie sheets and bake for 10 minutes on each side.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool for a few minutes before transferring cookies to a wire rack.
Yields about 36