A while back a friend introduced me to chocolate chip cookies made with chickpeas. They were so good I decided to try whipping up some brownies made with chickpeas. This recipe is the result! (Modified and improved in July 2021 from original 2015 version.)
They are sweet but not overly so and the chickpeas give them somewhat of a fudge texture as opposed to a cake texture.
The photo of the Chickpea Brownies was taken the day after I made them. As you can see, they were a hit. Pretty much completely gone!
Ingredients for delicious Brownies made with chickpeas
- 13 ounces (398 ml) canned chick peas, drained and rinsed in cold water
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) sugar (or more)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) dark, good quality, cocoa
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) cream or full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, broken pieces (optional)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cups chocolate chips (optional)
Optional: sprinkle broken nuts over top before baking
Preparing delicious Brownies made with chickpeas
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all ingredients together, until well mixed and smooth. I use my food processor. You can’t really over mix these.
- Spoon mixture into a greased and parchment covered, 9″ by 9″ cake pan.
- Bake for apx. 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for about 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
These brownies made with chickpeas are delicious warm or cold. With ice cream or without.