A delicious and easy to make Coffee Cake for those who enjoy rhubarb.
Ingredients for Rhubarb Coffee Cake
- 1.5 cups (375 ml) flour (white, whole wheat) | Optional: replace 1 tablespoon of flour with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) ground flax seed
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) coconut oil, olive oil or butter (coconut oil or butter may be melted and slightly cooled before mixing in)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 1 cup (250 ml) sour cream
- 2 to 3 cups rhubarb, diced chunks
- 1 cup (250 ml) white sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) pecans or walnuts, chopped or larger chunks
Optional Lemon Glaze for Rhubarb Coffee Cake
- 1 1/4 cup (315 ml) white sugar
- 1/4 cup (65 ml) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
How to prepare Rhubarb Coffee Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together dry ingredients (except sugar)
- Mix together wet ingredients – melt and slightly cool coconut oil or butter, if desired, before adding to other wet ingredients.
- Mix together rhubarb, nuts and sugar, stir until rhubarb is well covered with sugar. (Adding the sugar in this way makes the rhubarb slightly sweet rather than sour, and requires less sugar to achieve reasonable sweetness.)
- Combine dry and wet ingredients, then add rhubarb/sugar mixture.
- Spoon mixture into bundt pan or loaf pan.
- Bake cake for 35 to 45 minutes. (Tooth pick inserted into loaf should come out clean when cake is done.)
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
Optional for Lemon Glaze
- While cake cooks combine sugar with lemon juice.
- Remove cake from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes then remove from pan. Place on a plate.
- Use toothpick to prick holes in cake.
- Pour Lemon Glaze over top of cake and sides.
- Allow to cool before serving.