One of my favorites – Shepherd’s Pie (Mom style). It remind me of my Mom when we have it for dinner. This is her recipe.
Ingredients for Shepherd’s Pie
4 lbs (1.8 kg) extra lean ground beef
4 – 6 tbsp (60 – 90 ml) Lipton’s French Onion (dry) Soup mix
(or season with garlic, diced onion, salt and pepper, and a bit of soy sauce, Bragg or beef bouillon)
1 – 2 cups (250 – 500 ml) water
8 carrots, diced (optional)
8 cups (2 liters) mashed potatoes
(fresh made or leftover)
kosher or sea salt and black pepper, to taste
How to Prepare Shepherd’s Pie
- Fry ground beef on medium-low heat. As it begins to cook add water and the Onion Soup mix.
- When meat is just about cooked remove from heat and drain the liquid into a bowl or pan. Put the liquid in a cool place where the fat will come to the top and begin to harden. The liquid is needed to make the gravy and it is best to remove the fat first.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place the drained meat in a casserole dish.
- Spoon mashed potatoes over top of meat.
- Put casserole dish with meat and potatoes in oven and continue to cook Shepherd’s Pie for 30 to 45 minutes more.
- Make gravy with liquid reserved from meat (and any water from vegetables cooked to accompany Shepherd’s Pie).
- Heat the broth, season with a bit of soy sauce, salt and pepper, thicken with a bit of flour or corn starch and water.
- Remove Shepherd’s Pie from oven and serve with gravy.
Serves 6 – 8