One of my brother-in-law’s (Ken) favorites. Great with spaghetti, lasagna, chili, soup, salad … the list is endless!
1 cup (250 ml) soft butter
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup (250 ml) sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup (125 ml) fresh basil, chopped (optional)
kosher or sea salt to taste (optional)
1 baguette (french, whole wheat, ciabatta, your choice)
- Prepare ingredients as noted.
- Mix together butter, garlic, cheese and fresh basil.
- Add a bit of salt, to taste.
- Cut baguette in half lengthwise.
- ‘Butter’ both halves of the baguette with the cheese mixture.
- Place baguette on a cookie sheet with a layer of parchment paper underneath, to make cleanup easy.
- Broil baguette until cheese is bubbling and starting to change colour. Watch carefully as the high heat can easily burn the top of the cheese bread if you’re not paying attention.
Serves 6 – 10