Recently I started making my own Granola after checking out my mother-in-law’s recipe and a few others online. My goal was to keep it as healthy as possible and delicious tasting. Here’s the result – and it is SO easy. Goes great mixed with plain yogurt or whatever you like on your Granola.
This is a basic recipe that you can play with by adding (and subtracting) ingredients you like (or don’t like). If you like it a bit sweeter add 1/4 cup (60 ml) of brown sugar.
Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry, dark area for no more than two weeks. Better yet, store it in the refrigerator for freshness.
1/4 cup (60 ml) pecans or walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 cup (250 ml) slivered almonds, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup (60 ml) wheat germ
1/2 cup (125 ml) sunflower seeds
1/4 cup (60 ml) sesame seeds
1/4 cup (60 ml) flax seeds
1/2 cup (125 ml) raisins
4 cups (1000 ml) oatmeal
1+ tsp (5+ ml) cinnamon
1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) sea salt
1/3 cup (125 ml) honey
1/3 cup (80 ml) virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Mix all the dry ingredients (except raisins) together in a big bowl.
- Mix the honey and olive oil together and pour over dry ingredients. Stir until thoroughly absorbed and mixed throughout.
- Spread mixture onto a large, parchment paper covered, baking sheet with edges.
- Bake for 30 to 40+ minutes – every 10 minutes stir up mixture until done.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Add raisins to mixture, stir and store in a sealed container.