An easy to prepare salad with a bit of sweetness from the craisins and tartness from the dressing. A favorite in our household. Dress the entire salad just before serving or have individuals dress their own.
1/4 cup (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
1 tsp (5 ml) dijon mustard
1 or 2 garlic cloves, crushed (optional)
1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) sugar
1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) kosher or sea salt
black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup (60 ml) pecans or walnuts,
toasted or not, then chopped
1 romaine lettuce or 4 cups (1 liter) mixed greens chopped
1/2 cup (125 ml) goat cheese
1/4 cup (60 ml) craisins
- Mix oil, balsamic, dijon, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Shake or whisk vigorously, set aside. Allow to set for 30 minutes or more before serving to enhance flavour.
- On baking sheet lay out nuts and bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Remove nuts from oven, cool and chop coarsely.
- Prepare greens. Set aside.
- A few minutes before you are ready to serve salad place greens in a serving bowl and add nuts and craisins.
- Pour enough dressing on salad to lightly coat all ingredients (some dressing may be left over – refrigerate).
- Toss salad, then crumble most of goat cheese into salad and toss again.Reserve some of cheese for crumbling over top of salad before serving.
Serves 2 – 4