My sister Linda introduced me to this method of steaming vegetables. It is fast, easy and, as long as you don’t forget that it is cooking, will yield crisp veggies every time. All you need is a bit of water in the bottom of a frying pan with a lid. Simple!!
choice of veggie (asparagus, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, etc.)
1 tsp (5 ml) butter
kosher or sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1/2” (1.25 cm) of water in bottom of pan
- Prepare vegetable for cooking.
- Place water and all ingredients in a frying pan with a lid.
- Ensure the water just covers the bottom of the pan. Enough so the vegetable won’t burn on the bottom.
- Put the lid on the frying pan.
- Turn burner to almost high heat … and don’t forget they are cooking.
- Serve immediately.