An easy to prepare and tasty Pad Thai recipe. The sauce was inspired by a Pad Thai sauce recipe from the Best of Bridge. It’s not the same sauce but it was the inspiration for the sauce used here.
3 carrots, cut into thin strips
6 green onions, cut into thin strips
2 cups (500 ml) bean sprouts
2 eggs, scrambled
8 oz (254 g) rice stick noodles
1/3 cup (80 ml) brown sugar
1/4 cup (60 ml) fish sauce
3 tbsp (45 ml) lime juice
2 tbsp (30 ml) ketchup
1/2 cup (125 ml) cilantro, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup (60 ml) peanuts, chopped
2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable, peanut or grapeseed oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed
Optional – chicken, pork, shrimp, tofu – see step 4
- Prepare all ingredients as noted and set aside.
- In a large bowl soak noodles in hot water for 15 minutes. Then drain noodles and rinse under cold water until cooled. Set aside.
- Whisk together sauce: brown sugar, fish sauce, lime juice and ketchup.
- In a large frying pan sauté garlic in oil over medium heat. (If adding chicken, pork, shrimp and/or tofu, do so at this stage along with a couple of tablespoons of sauce. Sauté until just done.)
- Add noodles, scrambled eggs, half of onions and sauce to mixture.
- Mix and heat through.
- Transfer to a large serving dish. Mix in remaining green onions, carrots, bean sprouts, cilantro and peanuts.
- Serve immediately.