This recipe is EASY and tasty! I was looking for a way to use up leftover meat from frozen rotisserie chickens that I had thawed. I made a big batch of chicken soup for the freezer … 15 containers! And still had more chicken left over. (I had leftovers from roughly 5 chickens in the freezer!)
This chicken enchilada recipe is simple to make and delicious! So much so that I made a first batch for freezing for quick meals, one of which we enjoyed last night for dinner. Then, today I used up the second batch of enchiladas as we enjoyed last night’s so much … and I still had leftover chicken that needed to be used up and couldn’t be refrozen.
Ingredients for Chicken Enchiladas
Recipe makes 8 to 10 enchiladas.
- 1 – 455 ml jar of Chili Sauce (Heinz)
- 1 – 127 ml can chopped Green Chilies (El Paso)
- 1 cup or 250 ml of tomato sauce
- 1 – 398 ml can black beans, drained
- 1 cup or 250 ml of niblet corn
- 1 package of Taco seasoning
4 cups or 1000 ml of shredded chicken
2 cups or 500 ml of Mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 cups or 500 ml Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
8 to 10 large tortilla shells
Preparing Chicken Enchiladas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix sauce ingredients together. (Set aside 1 1/2 cups.)
- Mix shredded chicken into the sauce (except for the 1 1/2 cups set aside).
- Combine the shredded cheeses in a separate bowl.
- Spoon a small amount of the set aside sauce (without the chicken) into the bottom of your baking dish. Spread around to lightly cover the bottom.
- Next, working with one tortilla shell at a time, sprinkle a small band (roughly 1 tablespoon) of cheese down the center of the tortilla shell.
- Spoon roughly 3/4 cup of the chicken-sauce mixture down the center of the tortilla, over top of the cheese.
- Top the sauce mixture with a light sprinkle of cheese (roughly 1 tablespoon).
- Wrap the tortilla tightly around the filling, tuck the ends in and place the rolled up tortilla, seam side down, in your baking dish.
- Once all tortillas are in the baking dish, use the set aside sauce to brush over top of the tortillas.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over top the tortillas.
- Bake in oven for 30 to 40 minutes.
These are delicious and they freeze and reheat nicely!