This Pesto Chicken Quesadilla recipe is inspired by the Cactus Club restaurant. A friend took me there for lunch a few weeks back and we shared a salad and their Pesto Chicken Quesadilla with yam fries. YUM!! Afterwards, I was determined to recreate Quesadilla recipe at home.
This super easy and delicious Pesto Chicken Quesadilla is the result. Seriously, it is SO easy to make and it is delicious too!
Ingredients needed for Pesto Chicken Quesadillas:
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1/2 to 1 cup pesto, store bought or homemade (click here for my Easy Pesto Recipe – it’s very good, and very simple to make!)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 quesadilla shells
- 1/2 cup white cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 cup asiago or parmesan, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
Preparation steps for Pesto Chicken Quesadillas
- If you’re using homemade pesto, prepare it now. This link will take you to my Easy Pesto Recipe.
- Shred cheeses into two separate piles.
- Prepare chicken by thinly (seriously, thinly) slicing breast meat.
- In a medium-large to large non-stick frying pan, over low-medium heat, add a tablespoon of grapeseed, olive or vegetable oil.
- Allow oil to heat for a minute or so, then add the thinly sliced chicken.
- Cook chicken for a few minutes on each side until it is just about cooked through.
- Add enough pesto sauce and cranberries to suit your tastes and stir well, so that chicken is full coated.
- Let cook for a few more minutes, but not too long. The chicken should be cooked through but not overcooked. When done, remove from burner.
- To prepare quesadillas, use half of both cheeses to sprinkle a bit of each type of cheese on one half of each quesadilla circle. (The cheese helps the quesadilla stick together and adds flavour.)
- Next add a think layer of the pesto-cranberry chicken mixture over the half where you sprinkled the cheese.
- Next, top the chicken mixture with the remaining cheeses and fold the bare side of the quesadilla over the side with the contents.
- Now, use low-medium heat to heat the pan you will use to lightly crisp the outside, and melt the cheese inside, of the quesadilla. The pan should allow the quesadilla (all or at least one) to lie flat. A griddle, electric frying pan or a non-stick skillet for the stove top can work.
- As soon as the quesadilla is lightly golden on one side flip it over carefully, to contents remain in tact, to crisp the other side.
- As soon as both sides are lightly golden your Pesto Chicken Quesadillas are ready to serve.
- Serve with your favourite dip and side salad.