This Red Curry Chicken recipe was inspired by the Thai Red Curry Chicken recipe by Jennifer Segal of Once Upon A Chef. I didn’t have all the ingredients on hand so tinkered to make it my own. We loved it!
Ingredients for Red Curry Chicken, Thai Style
15 ml (1 Tbsp) Grapeseed or vegetable oil
1/2 small yellow onion diced into small bits
3 cloves garlic, crushed
750 ml (1 1/2 cup) coconut milk (unsweetened)
3 to 4 or more shots of Tabasco sauce, for heat
3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons lightly packed brown sugar, to taste
2 to 3 chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 thinly sliced red pepper
1 small/medium zucchini chopped into 1/4 inch thick rounds, halved or quartered
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Preparing Red Curry Chicken, Thai Style
- In a wok or frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic, saute lightly. Do not brown.
- Add and mix thoroughly together, coconut milk, red curry paste, fish sauce, brown sugar and Tabasco sauce. Heat through over medium heat until mixture thickens up a bit. Taste test for spiciness, etc. and add more of whatever you need to suit your palate.
- Add the chicken, red peppers and zucchini. Simmer (not boil) gently uncovered for 10+ minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in the lime juice and cilantro.
- Taste and add more lime to adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve immediately with basmati rice.
If you want to make the sauce a bit ahead of time, leave steps 4 to 7 until just before you are ready to serve so that the chicken and vegetables are not overcooked.
(Forgot to take a picture. Next time!)